[Newbies] Re: reading lines from textfiles on Linux

Charles D Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Wed May 17 22:56:22 UTC 2006

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> Hi Charles
>
> on Wed, 17 May 2006 21:51:20 +0200, you <charleshixsn at earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps, but the 16r09's are tab characters, and that is an accurate
>> description of that part of the file.  Also, now that I think of it
>> 16r10 is the same as 0x0A, or line feed, so that part is also correct.
>
> What is correct? In the previous message you said "the first line is
> the word 'technology' including the quotes, followed by a line feed."
>
>>> 16r0 (0)     16r27 16r69 16r74 16r65 16r6D 16r73 16r27 16r9 16r9 16r9
>>> 16r9 16r9 16r9 16rA 16r27 16r69
>
> C'mon Charles, this *is" the first line (the one you posted earlier)
> and it does *not* contain the word 'technology'. This line has 16
> characters, minus 3 quotes, minus 6 tabs, minus 1 line feed, but the
> word 'technology' has more than 16 - (3 + 6 + 1) = 6 characters.
>
> What's your problem? What does this have to do with your problems
> reading lines from textfiles on Linux?
>
> /Klaus
>
> P.S. w.r.t. your compliant about my opening of files with
> #readOnlyFileNamed:, have you seen the difference? I usually do not
> open files for writing when all I want is reading, even not on Linux
> !-: Have a look at the implementors of #fileNamed: to see what I mean.

The problem had to do with reading in a SINGLE line from a file.  That
has been solved.  I'm sorry that I didn't remember the tab characters
following the word 'technology', in that line.  I was looking at a text
version when I wrote that and in that line I don't use the tab
characters.  The first line is solely to identify what file is being read.

The significant fact was that the line ended with a line feed.  The
solution was, when using CrLfFileStream to look for a carriage return
instead of for a line feed.   (Alternatively, when using FileStream to
look for a line feed instead of issuing nextLine.)