[Newbies] Video question

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray.luna at javeriana.edu.co
Fri Nov 17 14:03:34 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Bert Freudenberg escribió:

> On Nov 17, 2006, at 5:57 , Andrew Burton wrote:
>
>> Is there a "standard" format for video in the Squeak community?  I
>> noticed that most of the Croquet videos were in Quicktime format, and
>> I wasn't sure if that carried over to here as well.
>>
>> I ask, because I put together a small video about building a simple
>> calculator in Squeak, but it's in the WMV format.  Is that
>> acceptable? Thanks.
>>
>> Also, if anyone's interested, here's the video:
>> http://profnano.org/code/squeak/Squeak_SimpleCalc.wmv
>
> Works for me on a Mac, but only because I installed Flip4Mac. I assume
> it will work on Win, don't know about Linux.
>
> Generally we prefer something that can be played on Mac and Unix and
> Windows, if possible without any additional software. I think only
> MPEG fits that, and it even can be played back by Squeak. Flash movies
> work pretty well across platforms, too, that's what Google Video or
> YouTube use.
>
> - Bert -

As a Linux user I prefer a format that can have players packaged by
default on Linux distros without any patents or other concerns. Your
video doesn't give me more that audio on my Ubuntu Linux machine and
would be nice to see the video you want to share with us.

I really appreciate your concern about proper formats for free
information interchange. Thanks a lot,

Offray