[Newbies] RE: Why Squeak is so sloooow?

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Thu Sep 21 15:55:40 UTC 2006

Brad Fuller wrote:
> Maybe you should do some proper scientific tests on your specific needs.
> What type of game are you going to create?

You're certainly right Brad but let me add that the Squeak 3.9 image is
unbearably slow on my linux-based laptop (2Ghz Pentium 4M, 1Gb RAM).
I've even tried VM's from 3.8 to Ian's recent 3.9 release.  It is too
slow for simple window operations and causes a gastly amount of CPU
utilization even under lite GUI use.  Antonio might be reflecting on
this same perception of slowness and frankly I'm sure that any amount of
"proper scientific testing" is going to reveal that it feels like
walking though mud ;-)

Anyway I'm still using a 3.7 image for development.  Nice and snappy.

David