[Newbies] Why Squeak is so sloooow?

Milan Zimmermann milan.zimmermann at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 21 16:23:46 UTC 2006

Hi Antonio,

Which VM version are you using - could you try to run, in command line:

squeak -version

And report results, thanks. Older versions of VM caused high CPU use, but I
never had a "cpu overheat in a desmesurated way" :) - new version 3.9 is
fine.

Many people on squeak-dev including me use Squeak on Linux, it certainly is
reasonably fast for me (e.g. faster than Ruby, although I think you are
talking mostly about graphical stuff?)

Also, in case you are using OpenCroquet http://opencroquet.org make sure you
have OpenGL driver installed correctly. If you use straight squeak, is it
slow for you even with a fresh image? http://squeak.org/Download