[Newbies] Why Squeak is so sloooow?

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Thu Sep 21 16:25:26 UTC 2006

  Antonio,

  If you evaluate the following (and print-it):

  | a b |
  a := FloatArray new: (16 * 1024*1024).
  b := FloatArray new: (16 * 1024*1024).
  [a += b] timeToRun.

you probably get a number around 100 or 200.  This means that Squeak
can add two 32-bit float arrays with 16M entries in 100 milliseconds
or such.  This is basicaly comparable Java-performance.

  Yes, some areas in Squeak is slow, but there are a few ways to make
particular stuff faster.

-- Yoshiki