[Newbies] Frequency of saving changes to Monticello?

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Wed Jan 10 21:32:10 UTC 2007

Hi!

"Grant Rettke" <grettke at acm.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With Subversion the motto is "commit frequently". I commit after
> nearly every change, no matter how small. What is the
> motto/approach/style for committing to Monticello your changes to your
> classes?

I think this is a bit personal. Some people tend to commit in the same
frequency as when using CVS/Svn or similar - "per feature or fix" so to
speak. But since you can't selectively commit say a single class (as you
can in CVS/Svn and those) this doesn't really hold for my personal way
of working. In say CVS I can sit back and make 5 different commits on
different parts of my file tree.

Or in other words - if you are very sequential in your work (only doing
one fix or feature at a time) then it works (if you don't mind the time
it takes - a larger package takes a bit of time to snapshot). But I tend
to do lots of things intertwined and then it breaks for me - so I tend
to do commits more seldomly, more like checkpoints.

But when I do commit - say a few times per day - then I first use the
"changes" button to bring up a diff view and write a proper version
comment listing all things I have done - that list tend to end up
somewhere between 5 and 10 items.

The reason I can get away with this is the superb merging capabilities
in Monticello - merging snapshots from different people and branches is
very easy even if the snapshots contain several changes - so the
granularity is not that big a deal for me.

regards, Göran