[Newbies] Antialiased Morphs?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Jan 31 14:47:58 UTC 2007

On Jan 31, 2007, at 15:17 , Sebastian Nozzi wrote:

> Hello people,
>
> as you know I have been playing with Rome a bit. My question is:
>
> Can I use RomeCanvas to make a Morph (or, for instance, ALL of
> them) anti-aliased?

In principle, yes, though it's going to be a lot of work.

What is much better supported is Balloon rendering (the engine behind
Squeak's Flash player). Basically, you just send #asBalloonCanvas to
a regular Canvas, set the antialiasing level (up to 4), and draw.
See, for example, WatchMorph. Create one, and enable AA in its halo
menu.

> Has someone made efforts in that area? (Tweak maybe?)

Yes, the Rome-Tweak package contains a RomeTweakCanvas that mimics
CTransformCanvas, which is normally used for Tweak rendering. It's
much easier to do than for Morphic because Tweak has a much cleaner
graphics model. You can toggle its usage on and off, it's got a nice
quality boost. The plan was to use this while transitioning to a pure
RomeCanvas, but this effort has stalled.

> If not, I would be willing to investigate the possibility
> (antialiased graphics is a must for me).
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would need to see that all the
> drawing operations of FormCanvas are supported, right? Or how would
> you proceed?

Yes, but there are many places in Morphic that rely on the canvas
being a FormCanvas, and even direct bitblt operations.

> P.S. Is this the right place to ask these questions? Or is there a
> Rome mailing list?

This isn't exactly newbie stuff, so I'd rather take this to squeak-
dev. There is no Rome list, as far as I know you are the first one
trying to use it for Morphic rendering.

- Bert -