[Newbies] Tweak questions (was: Antialiased Morphs?)

Sebastian Nozzi sebnozzi at gmx.net
Wed Jan 31 16:06:34 UTC 2007

> This isn't exactly newbie stuff, so I'd rather take this to squeak-
> dev.

I will then take this questions to squeak-dev and resort to more "newbie" ones...

In many places I have read things like Morphic will be replaced by Tweak, and that Tweak is much better and cleaner. This brings me some questions, like:

1) Is this official? Is this in the roadmap of the main Squeak project? (at least it appears to be in the roadmap of Croquet, and this is a very good sign).
2) Should I, as a newbie, forget about learning Morphic and jump straight to Tweak instead?
3) Will Tweak also offer this "embedding" of graphical objects in one another to build up an interface (or "view"). Will it offer this ability to manipulate the graphic elements as Morphs offer?
4) The Tweak site seems to be out of maintenance and the mailing list has very low traffic... are people still working on the project? (honestly asking) What is the state of Tweak? Is it feature complete? Is it half feature complete? (sorry if this info is somewhere else)

>There is no Rome list, as far as I know you are the first one
> trying to use it for Morphic rendering.

It's not that I want it specifically for Morphic rendering... I want Squeak and I want antialiased looks. If you tell me that Tweak is the future, and that in Tweak it would be easier to have antialiased graphics (with the plug-and-play ability of Morphs) I just jump for it... :-)

I always wondered why not many people (appearently not at all) are interested in antialiased graphics in Squeak. Even more being that it is so widely used in the Mac world, which all the graphic engine quartz antialiased stuff (I being also a Mac owner). For me, a live development environment with good 21st century graphics would be a clear winner...

Sebastian