[Newbies] Linux and Squeak server help

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Nov 6 11:48:20 UTC 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 11:49:06AM -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> People:
>
> Still this old donkey could't figure how to have Squeak as server on Linux.
> I try all people send on general list, the last of Giovanni Corriga on
> TCPListener, but no luck.
>
> I could do all in the Linux box, transfer files to this to Mac or Windows
> and reverse.
>
> But as I said , if I have Squeak running on Linux and any of the others, tcp
> comunication is one direction only, from Linux to others and no from others
> to Linux.
>
> And any Squeak running TCPListener, swikis, HV2, etc, only work with
> Konqueror or Firefox in the Linux bos, but can't be reached from outside.
>
> What I doing wrong ?

Hi Edgar,

I am not sure what the problem is for your system, but the last time
that I installed a Linux distribution (SuSE 10), I was surprised that
external access to many internet services such as ftp were disabled
by default.  I think this was supposed to be for "security" but it
was very annoying to me. Perhaps you can check to see if these things
work properly outside of Squeak (for example, try ftp and telnet to
your Linux box from some other computer).

Dave