[Newbies] How do experienced squeakers design applications?

Andy Burnett andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com
Wed Aug 20 03:42:19 UTC 2008

I have just started building the model classes for my first app. I
sketched out, on paper, what I thought the objects should be, and then
started coding. However, very quickly, I found that I was confusing
the heck out of myself, trying to make all the parts work together.
Clearly, I was not approaching the process the right way at all.

So, how do you guys build apps? Do you work out everything on paper
first ( with UML diags etc). Or, do you use squeak as you design tool,
creating stub classes as you realize you need them.

Also, do you try to get one class to pass all it's tests first, before
you move on?

Basically, I am interested in the rules of thumb that you find helpful.

Thanks
Andy