[Newbies] Re: How do experienced squeakers design applications

Andy Burnett andy.burnett at knowinnovation.com
Wed Aug 20 17:20:02 UTC 2008

<<
I'm a squeak newbie but I work and design every day on ruby / python /
delphi projects.  Personnaly I sketched out on paper, using UML mainly. Then
I take the most quick and easy functionality/class collaboration to develop
and I develop using Test Driven Development ( read Dave Astels fantastic
book "Test Driven Development: A practical guide" if you want more details
on this. I like the idea that tests drive the design ).

A tool I like  to draw UML diagrams is umlet : http://www.umlet.com/  It's
fast, no popups, dialog boxes, saves it's diagrams in plain text files (easy
to version), ... and free as in free beer ;)

This done (100% test green, 100% coverage and most obvious use cases
tested), I sketched out again for next tasks and start all cycle again.

In professionnal environment I like to use Scrum iterative development
process.

I hope this help !

Laurent

Thanks Laurent, that is very helpful, and I like the umlet application a
lot.

cheers
AB