[Newbies] The bouncing sound

polishookm polishookm at mail.montclair.edu
Thu Feb 21 04:26:16 UTC 2008

Scott,

Here's a project file that demonstrates the problem. I'm working in the
most recent ver. of Squeak from www.squeak.org (just downloaded a few
days ago) .... 3.9-final-7067

When I activate the script with the object controlled by a joystick, the
first few times it hits the top of the world and it's silent - all is
well. But at some point, after 3 or 4 or 5 collisions, it's no longer
silent.

All help much appreciated and thanks very much in advance for looking at
the project (made by a student in the class I'm teaching).

Ab,

Mark

Scott Wallace wrote:
> Hi, polishookm,
>
> I cannot reproduce the phenomenon you describe in any image I have
> close to hand -- not in Squeak 3.9, not in Squeakland3.8-05, and not
> in the OLPC etoys image.   (Can anyone else?)
>
> What version of Squeak are you using?  If it's 3.10, I'll leave it for
> other 3.10 users to track this down, since I don't have a copy of 3.10
> handy.
>
> Otherwise, perhaps you could email me a copy of a project of yours
> which exhibits this symptom...
>

> Cheers,
>
> -- Scott
>

> On Feb 20, 2008, at 6:38 PM, polishookm wrote:
>
>> I"m finding that with
>>
>> [Rectangle forward by 5]
>> [Rectangle bounce silence]
>>
>> the rectangle eventually collides with the top of the world and
>> bounces off in the opposite direction - with no sound ... the bounce
>> is silent.
>>
>> However, this script
>>
>> [Rectangle forward by JoyStick's upDown * 8]
>> [Rectangle bounce silence]
>>
>> doesn't allow the Rectangle bounce silently off the edge of the
>> world. In this case, when the rectangle  reaches the top of the
>> world, it makes a bouncing sound. The exact sound can be selected in
>> the [Rectangle bounce silence] tile. But selecting 'silence' as the
>> sound doesn't seem to work.
>>
>> Am I missing something obvious? Shouldn't it be possible to silence
>> the bounce?

Mark Polishook, D.M.A.
Technology Coordinator
Morehead Hall, Rm 132
Center for Academic Advising and Adult Learning
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ 07043

(973)-655-7114
http://www.montclair.edu/AcademicAdvising/html