[Newbies] Application data management

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 08:56:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 09:59:06 +0200
Felix Dorner <felix_do at web.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of how application data is best persisted in squeak apps.
> Probably I have problems in distinguishing the Squeak "platform" and  my
> Application.
>
> If I see my application as a part of squeak, then I guess there's no
> need for custom resource management - as soon as a user does "save.."
> all is saved automatically, including my app data (here its just a list
> of filenames).
>
> Is that the intended way? Or is "Save..." intended for developing only?
> Gee squeak is really different.

Well... that's referred to as "Image based persistence" :-). And yes, it is one way of persisting user's data. Some people here store lots of information in their images - presentations, stuff they type up, small prototype apps, etc. It's certainly not just for developers.

> Otherwise, I could do it all manually, persist my data to
> somehomedir/.myappdata

If you want to get serious, there are other options for persisting image data. Google for Magma and GOODS.

> How can I get the current user home?

Er... that's a hard one. I actually don't know. I'd probably start by installing the OSProcess package which might have something like that. I've had a quick look in my image and can't find anything.

Anybody else know?

Gulik.

--
Michael van der Gulik <mikevdg at gmail.com>