[Newbies] Exchanging Elements in an OrderedCollection

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Fri May 30 22:48:48 UTC 2008

This is a curiosity question that will hopefully help me understand the
Squeak *system* better.

I have an Aida application in which I find myself doing a lot of list
manipulation, and given the reputation Smalltalk has for the strength of
it's collection classes, I felt sure I would find a method SOMEWHERE that
exchanged two elements.

So...am I just no good at finding what I'm looking for (swap, exchange,
move?), or is it because it is so simple to write something like

exchange: index1 and: index2
    |temp|
    temp := self at: index1.
    self at: index1 put: (self at: index2).
    self at: index2 put: temp.

that no one would even think of needing to include such behavior?

Again, just wondering so I can "measure" my understanding of how little I
know and better gauge whether I think I can find an answer from the system
itself...

Of course, the answer is probably "why don't you just..." along with a
single line...!

Thanks,

Rob