[Newbies] Squeak 3.9 differences from Smalltalk80?

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 24 19:36:00 UTC 2011

I'm working through a fairly ancient intro to Smalltalk-80
called "Smalltalk-80 A Practical Introduction" by Philip Gray.

A lot of the methods that Gray uses don't exist in quite
the same form in my Squeak (3.9 under Ubunto 10)(*).

I can generally figure it out eventually by studying the
browser, but I understood Squeak started out as a clone
of the original ST-80? So I wondered where/when the
differences came in. And also if there is a crib sheet
of what the differences are? (Which would save me some
time!)

BTW I've also been using SBE but I wanted to try the
examples in the Gray book just for fun...

(*)An example is in PopUpMenu where Gray uses a "reset"
message which doesn't seem to exist in Squeak. He also uses
a "startUpWithHeading:" which is "startUpWithCaption:" in
Squeak.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site