[Newbies] perform withArguments

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Mon Apr 23 17:44:22 UTC 2012

Hi,

For your example:

	cellObject cellLock: aBoolean

where cellObject is to look like: cell1, cell2, cell3 ..., or cell9

I don't think you want or need to use #perform:.  You use #perform: when
you want to construct the message name and sent the constructed message
name to an object.

In your case you know the message you want to send, it is #cellLock:.  What
you don't know (or have easily available) is the object you want to send
the message to.

What I think you need to do is save your cell objects in an array or
collection (I will let you look up collections, but ask again if you need
help).  With something like:

cellObjects := OrderedCollection new.
cellObjects add: YourCellClass new.

Once you have a collection of your cells, you can access one or more of
them and sent the #cellLock: message to it like so:

(cellObjects at: cellNumber) cellLock: aBoolean

Good luck and keep posting if you need help.

Lou