[Newbies] Entering the caret (^) in Squeak on Linux

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu Oct 4 12:38:20 UTC 2018

Hi

> On 04.10.2018, at 11:03, Marc Hanisch <marc.hanisch at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Christian,
>
> I've configured my keyboard with 'deadkeys' (I need the caret for
> Esperanto characters like ĝĥ), so I already tried "^ + Space", but it
> justs displays a questionmark.
> When I switch to 'nodeadkeys' I can enter the caret. So this is solved
> for now ;-)
>
> But I'm still wondering, why I can't type UTF8-characters? I thought
> Squeak is UTF-8 aware?

Well, the question mark is just Squeaks way of saying "i know the Character but I don't have it in the font"

you can do the following:

put a $ before the character, select the whole thin and hit ctrl-i. Then you see what character it is, typically by unicode point.

Best regards
	-Tobias

PS: I'd be very interested what ^+space produces for character :)