[Newbies] syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Jan 18 09:19:57 UTC 2021

Hi David.

> I wonder whether it's possible to display the assignment operator '_'
> underscore as Left Arrow.

Well, the original font rendered the underscore character ("_") as a left arrow. One could still extend Shout to add a special text attribute to either "_" or ":=" to change to a font that has such a property. Maybe take a look at FormSetFont and the example in FormInspector >> #embedForm:inText:.

Of course, you could directly change the system's code font to one that renders all "_" as a left arrow, regardless of the context.

Note that it might be confusing for some users to see a left arrow as a single entity while actually having to type ":" and "=".

Also note that we removed all underscore assignments ("_") from Squeak's Trunk repository. For good. :-)

Best,
Marcel