[Newbies] syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Mon Jan 18 10:00:15 UTC 2021

> On 18. Jan 2021, at 10:19, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de> wrote:
>
> Hi David.
>
> > I wonder whether it's possible to display the assignment operator '_'
> > underscore as Left Arrow.
>
> Well, the original font rendered the underscore character ("_") as a left arrow. One could still extend Shout to add a special text attribute to either "_" or ":=" to change to a font that has such a property. Maybe take a look at FormSetFont and the example in FormInspector >> #embedForm:inText:.
>
> Of course, you could directly change the system's code font to one that renders all "_" as a left arrow, regardless of the context.
>
> Note that it might be confusing for some users to see a left arrow as a single entity while actually having to type ":" and "=".
>
> Also note that we removed all underscore assignments ("_") from Squeak's Trunk repository. For good. :-)

SyntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment _should_ work:
"
'If true, and syntaxHighlightingAsYouType is enabled,  all ANSI format assignments ( := ) will be converted to left arrows ( _ ) when a method is selected in a Browser. Whilst editing a method, this setting has no effect - both the left arrow and the ansi format may be used.
"

If I enable it, I see _ instead of := in all methods, so it works fine.

Note that the fonts themselves support swapping _ and ^ for arrows.

Variant A: (destructive) See TextStyle>>#makeArrows
Variant B: (semi-destructive)
	See StrikeFont>>#useLeftArrow and StrikeFont>>$#useUnderscore.

However, useLeftArrow is not completely right.

It should read:

useLeftArrow
	self characterToGlyphMap.
	characterToGlyphMap at: 96 put: 131.
	characterToGlyphMap at: 95 put: 130.

After that, If you do

```
Preferences enable: #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment.
Preferences standardCodeFont useLeftArrow.

```

You'll see:

However, shout seems to do strange things there if #syntaxHighlightingAsYouTypeLeftArrowAssignment is on.
It tries hard to show the "assignment" as _ no matter what.

That said, It is supposed to somewhat work :)

Best regards
	-Tobias