[Box-Admins] Increasing disk usage on box3 (build.squeak.org)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 07:10:45 UTC 2013

On 26 February 2013 22:54, Ken Causey <ken at kencausey.com> wrote:
> This is just a heads up that I'm noticing that the available disk space on
> box3 (aka build.squeak.org) is rather quickly decreasing.  I'm still
> monitoring this and can't give a hard figure about how quickly it is
> decreasing yet.
>
> Of course it has always been understood that build.squeak.org is the primary
> focus of that system and that over time additional build tasks would be
> added resulting in increased usage of the system including disk space.  But,
> and I will admit I'm not paying a lot of attention, I'm not aware of a lot
> of additional tasks yet.  Please feel free to correct me on this.

I probably doubled the number of jobs over the last fortnight, adding
a host of jobs for testing various well known packages. That puts us
at about 28 jobs.

> So, first I'm going to continue to monitor this for a few days at least at
> which point I can perhaps be more specific.
>
> Secondly, I for one would really appreciate if the admins of
> build.squeak.org would occasionally report on the status of build.squeak.org
> regarding added tasks/jobs/whatever.  I understand that most of the
> discussion occurs on squeak-dev, and that's fine, just a very brief report
> with pointers for more info to posts on squeak-dev would be perfectly
> acceptable.
>
> Thirdly, is it possible there is some cleanup task that is not taking place?
> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace is at the moment 7.2GB (out of 12GB used on the
> server) and was 7.0GB yesterday.

It might well be that the build scripts are insufficiently aggressive
in cleaning up old versions of VMs, among other things. Handily, we
should be able to nuke the Workspaces and have the builds still work.
(CogVM and InterpreterVM jobs are notable exceptions!)

frank