[Box-Admins] NTP?

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 14:23:25 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-02 9:20 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
> On 2 January 2013 14:15, Chris Cunnington <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 2013-01-02 8:21 AM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>> Does squeakci.org have NTP installed? If so, I don't think it's working:
>>>
>>> http://squeakci.org/computer/
>>>
>>> shows my machine (which is synched to a stratum 1 machine connected to
>>> GPS) 4m 38s ahead.
>>>
>>> frank
>> OK, I'm awake now. Network Time Protocol daemon.
>> No, it doesn't have that.
>>
>> I hit the link above and saw a timing statement for box3 and your FreeBSD.
>> You find that box3 and your server are out of sync and need to be in better
>> sync? Is that situation here?
> Yes, and the right way to get them in sync is for squeakci.org to have
> (and keep) the right time, through ntp. That lets us not go crazy when
> debugging things between slave and master.
>
>> I haven't seen your FreeBSD box before. Please tell me what you're doing to
>> better assist you.
> I'm experimenting with having machines run headless slaves so that the
> community at large can, say, test builds on Windows machines, OS X
> machines, and so on.
>
> So as a minimal test, I'm trying out my FreeBSD because (a) I have it
> running and (b) FreeBSD doesn't get as much love as it should.
>
> frank
>
>> Chris

OK, It's running on the process list and gives the time as thus. [1]
Please try that. I must go and get a coffee, so if it needs tuning, etc.
I'll be back in half an hour.

Chris

[1] chriscunnington at box3-squeak:~$ ps aux | grep ntp
ntp       7703  0.0  0.1   4660  1876 ?        Ss   15:21   0:00
/usr/sbin/ntpd -p /var/run/ntpd.pid -g -u 108:106
1002      7714  0.0  0.0   3296   736 pts/1    S+   15:21   0:00 grep ntp
chriscunnington at box3-squeak:~$ date
Wed Jan  2 15:21:43 CET 2013