[Box-Admins] Disk space usage on box3

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 16:27:07 UTC 2013

On 18 November 2013 15:37, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 03:05:36PM +0000, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> On 18 November 2013 14:53, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > But we need to deal with this in a sustainable way that does not require
>> > manual intervention. In the case of ReleaseSqueakTrunk, possibly this can
>> > be done by adding one more build step to the job that cleans up files
>> > when the job is complete.
>> >
>> > Right now you have these two build steps:
>> >  bundle install
>> >  DEBUG=1 bundle exec rake release
>> >
>> > I don't know anything about ruby or rake but I am guessing that you might
>> > be able to add one more build step that might look something like this:
>> >
>> >  bundle exec rake cleanup
>>
>> Close: "bundle exec rake clean release" will trash the target/
>> directory. I don't do that by default because that means the task will
>> compile an Interpreter VM. Or, if you prefer, adding "clean" trades
>> CPU/load for disk space. (We need to compile an Interpreter VM because
>> build.squeak.org's OS can't run a new Interpreter for lack of a recent
>> glibc.)
>>

> I used checkinstall make a debian package for the interpreter VM, and
> installed it on the system as package "squeakvm". Sorry if I did not
> mention this earlier!
>
> $ dpkg --list squeakvm
> | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name                            Version                         Description
> +++-===============================-===============================-==============================================================================
> ii  squeakvm                        20131020-1                      Standard Squeak interpreter VM
>

> That means that you can run /usr/local/bin/squeak for an interpreter VM,
> and you do not need to compile it for the individual Jenkins jobs.
>
> If you can change ReleaseSqueakTrunk job to use /usr/local/bin/squeak,
> and then update the "bundle exec rake clean release" step, then you should
> see the disk usage for this job go back down to a normal level.

That's a more complicated change than I can make today. I wiped the
workspace for the moment, but actually seeing as we have multiple
slaves, I'm not sure what "wipe current workspace" actually means. At
any rate, the latest ReleaseSqueakTrunk job's running on one of Tony
Garnock-Jones' machines.

This job's target/ directory ought to have used around 150MB, at an
eyeball estimate.

frank