[Box-Admins] Re: [Webteam] squeak.org configured for nginx

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Mar 11 21:11:26 UTC 2014

Great progress on the new website. I have a few suggestions. Hope you
don't mind.

The ttl of all DNS records should be at most 3600 until the system is
considered stable. The current value is 86400 (1 day), so you'll have to
wait more than a day till any change takes effect for everyone. We even
keep it at a low value (3600-7200) for production systems, because it's
really helpful when something goes wrong.

Some old DNS records were not kept (e.g. box2.squeak.org,
bugs.squeak.org, map.squeak.org, ftp.squeak.org , etc). It would be worth
restoring these until the services are migrated. For example squeakmap and
mantis, or the downloads don't work at the moment.

Serving the static files (images, scripts) for the website needs a
permanent solution. We want to let the browsers and proxies to cache
these, but not the dynamically generated pages. There are many different
ways to solve it, each having their pros and cons.

I can help with configuring nginx. Let me know if you need it.

Levente