Hi Cees! Have you changed your DNS recently? (was:Re: [Box-Admins] DNS server down)

Case de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Tue Nov 25 23:36:54 UTC 2014

I wish I could help here (well I always can of course ;-)), but it wasn’t me. No need to apologize though, Chris :)

Looking up the NS for Squeak.org <http://squeak.org/>:

squeak.org.		259200	IN	NS	a.ns.squeakfoundation.org.
squeak.org.		259200	IN	NS	b.ns.squeakfoundation.org.

And then to IP addresses:

a.ns.squeakfoundation.org has address 85.10.195.197
b.ns.squeakfoundation.org has address 69.72.148.198

The next step is grab whois data for these IPs. The first one is active at Hetzner:

inetnum:        85.10.192.0 - 85.10.207.255
netname:        HETZNER-RZ-NBG-NET
descr:          Hetzner Online AG
descr:          Datacenter Nuernberg

but the second one points to Nirvana. Strange but true, that IP doesn’t seem to be allocated (an enclosing block is allocated, but that’s all):

FortressITX FORTRESSITX (NET-69-72-128-0-1) 69.72.128.0 - 69.72.255.255

I guess that someone (and yes, that might very well have been, unknowingly, me ;-)) ran an NS on an ISP that went out of business, and thus the IP block came back for reallocation. As I still own squeakfoundation.org <http://squeakfoundation.org/>, I can repoint that. If anyone knows a spot where we can setup secondary DNS, preferably for free, ping me. Else, I’ll do some digging around to see where I can park it. I will probably need access to the primary DNS (do we still have a Hetzner host), will shout for help :-)

Regarding Gandi/GoDaddy - GoDaddy did something to piss me, and a lot of other netizens, off. And I was annoyed with them anyway :-). So I moved everything to Gandi, happy ever after.