[Box-Admins] URGENT: who's going to look?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jan 24 00:50:53 UTC 2018

Hi Tobias,

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 02:21:35PM +0100, Tobias Pape wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Due to sheer amount of work I am going to delete myself from all emails from the squeak servers.
>
> Please, who is going to
>  - look after the logcheck mails?
>  - Care for package updates?
>  - reboot the servers[1]?
>
> Best
> 	-Tobias
> [1]: Actually, the severs need to be rebooted quite soonish.

Response to this plea for help has been somewhat underwhelming, so I am
CCing the board also. We should discuss at our next meeting. It is not
good for one person to get overloaded with administrative chores, so we
need to help before it becomes a problem.

I do have one meta concern. Who other than Tobias knows all of the things
that need to be done, and has sufficient access to do what is needed? If
Tobias gets run over by a truck (or squashed by a motorcycle as was the
case for me not so long ago), then do we know who can take over?

I would like to make progress on two things:

1) Help Tobias as per his request above.

2) Establish some known (and documented, maybe on squeak.org) procedures
to ensure that everyone has a backup person, and everyone knows who to
contact the next time we have a server disaster, or the next time a key
person becomes unavailable.

Speaking only for myself - I currently have access to dan.box.squeak.org
and andreas.box.squeak.org, and would be willing to take on additional
responsibilities for those two boxes. I would need some coaching to know
what needs to be done. Package updates and periodic rebooting seems
straightforward, but to be honest I just ignore and delete the logcheck
emails, so I do not really know if something needs to be done with them.