[Cryptography Team] opinions?

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Wed Nov 9 02:17:56 CET 2005

Chris...

Are you asking for a critique of the KryptOn architecture or opinions
on whether you should post the code?

My opinion on posting the code is... yes... you should post the code.
I think it would be hard to argue that it's not "open source" code
since you're posting the code to a widely accessible server. I think
Ron recently pointed out that you can claim an open source exemption
as long as you alert the BIS by emailing them the following
information (taken from http://www.bis.doc.gov/Encryption/
PubAvailEncSourceCodeNofify.html):
	In the SUBJECT line of your email, enter: "TSU NOTIFICATION"
	[Note: This has already been done for you if you click on any of the
e-mail links above.]

	In the body of your email, enter the following information:

	SUBMISSION TYPE: Type in "TSU"
	SUBMITTED BY:
	SUBMITTED FOR: (Name of company or person exporting the encryption
item)
	POINT OF CONTACT:
	PHONE and/or FAX:
	MANUFACTURER: (If relevant)
	PRODUCT NAME/MODEL #:
	ECCN: 5D002

	NOTIFICATION: Provide the URL or Internet address of the source
code, or else a copy of the source code.

With respect to license, assuming you're the copyright holder of the
code, I believe it's possible for YOU to post the code wherever you
wish. It doesn't HAVE to be posted in the "official" Squeak locations.