[Cryptography Team] opinions?

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Wed Nov 9 02:26:28 CET 2005

All,

The last step in the process, I believe, it to request a review.  This is
where the government actually responds to you to say you did everything
properly.  They will not respond to a regular notification.  To be safe I
would advise we let the lawyers do what needs to be done for squeak.  If
indeed this is all that needs to be done, we will write it up in our how-to.

Thanks Matt for putting this together.

Ron

-----Original Message-----
From: Matthew S. Hamrick [mailto:mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 8:18 PM
To: chris at funkyobjects.org; Cryptography Team Development List
Cc: Ron Teitelbaum
Subject: Re: [Cryptography Team] opinions?

Chris...

Are you asking for a critique of the KryptOn architecture or opinions
on whether you should post the code?

My opinion on posting the code is... yes... you should post the code.
I think it would be hard to argue that it's not "open source" code
since you're posting the code to a widely accessible server. I think
Ron recently pointed out that you can claim an open source exemption
as long as you alert the BIS by emailing them the following
information (taken from http://www.bis.doc.gov/Encryption/
PubAvailEncSourceCodeNofify.html):
	In the SUBJECT line of your email, enter: "TSU NOTIFICATION"
	[Note: This has already been done for you if you click on any of the

e-mail links above.]

	In the body of your email, enter the following information:

	SUBMISSION TYPE: Type in "TSU"
	SUBMITTED BY:
	SUBMITTED FOR: (Name of company or person exporting the encryption
item)
	POINT OF CONTACT:
	PHONE and/or FAX:
	MANUFACTURER: (If relevant)
	PRODUCT NAME/MODEL #:
	ECCN: 5D002

	NOTIFICATION: Provide the URL or Internet address of the source
code, or else a copy of the source code.

With respect to license, assuming you're the copyright holder of the
code, I believe it's possible for YOU to post the code wherever you
wish. It doesn't HAVE to be posted in the "official" Squeak locations.