[Cryptography Team] Todays Meeting update AND Eval Islands as Security Component

Kyle Hamilton aerowolf at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 22:46:46 UTC 2006

If I'm understanding Mark Miller's thesis properly, it seems to be
possible to look at Islands as performing the same set of operations
that X.509 "Proxy Certificates" perform -- basically, as a user, you
delegate permission to run on your behalf to the objects that you
interact with, and they in turn grant permission to the objects they
call to perform a limited set of functions for them, and so on.  From
the computer's point of view, you're the trust anchor (after your
identity and authorization are validated from a trust anchor like a
CA) for everything that it does on your behalf.

After your identity and authorization are validated, the system then
evaluates the ability for code running on your behalf to perform
certain operations based on what you are authorized to do.

FIPS 140-2 Level 2 requires EAL 2, not EAL 3.  I think that EAL 3 is a
better target to shoot for than EAL 2, though.  (EAL 2 is a
single-user environment.)

-Kyle H

On 12/1/06, Ron Teitelbaum <Ron at usmedrec.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tim,
>
> Based on that, if we design and distribute security components for Squeak
> and we want to be CC evaluated we should at a minimum shoot for level 3.  We
> should revisit this when we have standard security components to offer.
>
> All,
>
> Would anything within Islands meet the criteria for a security component and
> be eligible for, or be contained in any existing security target, or
> protection profile?  (Again my apologies for not being able to review it)
>
> Ron

-Kyle H