[Cryptography Team] OpenSSL, Stunnel

Ron Teitelbaum Ron at USMedRec.com
Wed Jul 12 20:33:15 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I've been looking into FIPS but couldn't help falling over the Squeak
Pluggin for OpenSSL and Stunnel.
https://lists.wisc.edu/read/messages?id=181840

https://lists.wisc.edu/read/messages?id=183375

  I haven't tried them yet but was wondering if anyone else has.  Does it
make sense to move forward with our own FIPS certification, or would it make
sense to tightly integrate both openSSL and Stunnel into squeak instead?

Does anyone have any thoughts about the benefits and drawbacks of having the
cryptographic code be an external black box?  Are there greater benefits to
our having implemented our own code, for education and flexibility .  ?
Personally I would prefer having the code be in squeak, but I thought the
question worth asking.  Should we do both?

Thoughts?

Ron Teitelbaum

Squeak Cryptography Team Leader