[Cryptography Team] OpenSSL FIPS Revoked - Should we continue to try and certifiy Squeak?

Matthew S. Hamrick mhamrick at cryptonomicon.net
Thu Jul 20 17:14:45 UTC 2006

Hi Ron,

Sorry for not responding to this earlier, it's been a pretty busy
month for me and I'm just now getting around to catching up on email
traffic.

I think I'm in a pretty good position to comment on this subject,
having worked for the Department of Homeland Security, managing part
of their PKI integration process. Somewhere along the line someone
also put my name down as a "Federal Smartcard Program Manager." I
don't know what that means, but I did do some work with Smart Cards
and when I mention it to some people they seem to take it relatively
seriously.

FIPS-140-2 is certainly important in the federal government. Laws
exist that mandate it's use for certain federal projects. However...
it's possible to get waivers for those laws. But FIPS-140-2 isn't the
only certification regieme that applications and environments must
adhere to. The Common Criteria are increasingly important as are
adherence to the FIPS 800 series documents (though the latter are not
certification processes in the commonly accepted sense.) Common
Criteria covers much more than just crypto and there are Common
Criteria for several aspects of system operation.

I think what I'm getting at here is, if you're trying to get a Squeak
application approved for use in the US or Canadian federal
governments, FIPS is important, but if the application is compelling
a waiver can be received. Common Criteria may be more important to
the program manager, but that covers way more than just the Crypto.
So you would probably have to have your whole VM, Image and Crypto
change-set evaluated.

And... if you're going to work on a particular standard, why not work
on Suite B? The NSA has been recommending the use of AES and ECC for
several months now, and I believe that if you buy into Suite-B, it
may be easier to get a FIPS-140 waiver.

-Cheers
-Matt H.