[Elections] Reflections on the election process

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 20:53:04 UTC 2006

On 2/26/06, Peter Crowther <Peter at ozzard.org> wrote:
> Should we now be reflecting on the process and soliciting
> input from the community so that we can improve the process where
> necessary?

Good idea. And I do hope you'll step back into the election team now
that your aspirations for a position on the board have been smothered
by a last place outcome ;-)

> Also, should the make-up of the elections team itself now be decided by
> the same process?

I wonder. It's not the sexiest of jobs, so turn-out may be very low,
and I wonder what you'd do with an election result where, say, only 50
votes were cast...

Furthermore, my gut feeling is that as long as the election team tries
very hard to be transparent and listen to the community, people will
not care too much who is a member. I've run "real" elections. The
requirement for being a candidate here for, say, the city council is
30 supporters and something like 50 or 100 euro. The requirement for
manning the election bureau, however,  is IIRC just a Dutch passport
and no police record....