[Elections] Reflections on the election process

Peter Crowther Peter at ozzard.org
Sun Feb 26 21:22:02 UTC 2006

> From: Cees De Groot [mailto:cdegroot at gmail.com]
> Good idea. And I do hope you'll step back into the election team now
> that your aspirations for a position on the board have been smothered
> by a last place outcome ;-)

(Grin).  I think it got a couple more candidates to stand, on the 'What?
*That* idiot??!' principle, so I'm happy.

Quite willing to come back here and be highly opinionated.

> Furthermore, my gut feeling is that as long as the election team tries
> very hard to be transparent and listen to the community, people will
> not care too much who is a member.

I'm inclined to agree, but it's probably worth asking the question.

> I've run "real" elections. The
> requirement for being a candidate here for, say, the city council is
> 30 supporters and something like 50 or 100 euro. The requirement for
> manning the election bureau, however,  is IIRC just a Dutch passport
> and no police record....

Heh.  I have an English passport and no police record (other than being
a member of Amnesty and being moderately vocal against some of the
crazier erosions of human rights in the UK).  Does that count? :-)

		- Peter