[Elections] A simple SqF board elections solution using SqP

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed Jan 4 21:57:01 CET 2006

I'd like to float this as a solution to the quickly approaching vote for
the 2006-2007 Squeak Foundation Board.  I would like to suggest that we
try this more or less as is for the upcoming election and then consider
it, based on that experience, as a model for future elections.

I think that we can implement a one time (at least) election mechanism
that if not secure is 'transparent' (a reference to a discussion of
security vs. transparency in elections by Cees):

1.  Solicit for people interested in sitting for the 2006-2007 SqF
board.  This would be made up of 2005-2006 board members still
interested in serving and any new prospects.  Exactly how you (the
Elections team) handle these selection of new prospects is up to you.

2. On Feb 1 post an SqP article announcing the upcoming vote and clearly
stating the voting mechanism and requirements.  We specify a SqP rank
(apprentice or journeyman, this is open to debate) that is eligible for
voting.  Announce that voting opens just after Midnight on Feb. 7th and
that voting eligiblity (account and ranking) must be met by Midnight GMT
of Feb 7th and that a comment to the article posted soon after Midnight
on Feb 7th will open voting and that votes placed before that comment is
posted will not count.

3.  At Midnight GMT on Febuary 7th, Cees and/or I will use a script that
more or less instaneously lists all members with a rank of the desired
level (for voting) and we post a comment to the article listing all of
these members.  These members and ONLY these members will be eligible to
each place one vote.  I say Cees and/or I here because for the moment he
and I are the only ones I know of with direct access to that server to
be able to run such a script.  Cees may know other people and/or may be
willing to give someone else access to do that.  It's his server and up
to him.  However I think even if the 'process' is done outside of public
view that exact data used is public and anyone that cares to make a
snapshot of the people page at midnight GMT on the 7th can verify the
data generated.

4.  Between the time this comment is posted at Midnight GMT of Feburary
14th all members listed as having voting rights can post a single
comment indicating their preference of board members.  The preference is
specified by listing all available candidates in order of preference
from highest to lowest.

5.  After Midnight GMT of Feburary 15th someone (preferably more than
one person) will count the votes using the following mechanism:

  For this discussion let's assume 10 candidates are available for the 7
board positions.

  a.  Each vote is comprised of an ordered list of candidates in order
of desirability by the voter.

  b.  Each listed member is given a fraction value to designate his or
her desirability to the voter.  The top listed candiate is given a value
of 10/10 or 1.  The second listed candidate is given a value of 9/10,
the third 8/10, the fourth 7/10, and so on until the 10th listed
candidate is given the value of 1/10.  If the voter does not list all
candidates then the listed candidates are given their appropriate values
as above and all other non-listed candidates are assumed to have a value
of 0.

  c.  A running count is maintained for each candidate as the votes are
processed summing the fraction value in each vote for that candidate.

  d.  The 7 board members are selected by taking the 7 candidates with
the highest sums.  A comment is posted as quickly as possible on the
15th of february with the total sum for each candidate and listing the 7
new board members.

This mechanism is completely transparent and can be rechecked by anyone
at any time to verify the results.

Ken