[Elections] A simple SqF board elections solution using SqP

Peter Crowther Peter at ozzard.org
Mon Jan 9 23:25:58 CET 2006

> From: [...] Daniel Vainsencher
> I hope this message wraps up the current discussions:
> 1. There seems to be wide spread consensus on how the voting itself
> should occur, which is summarized in the requirements page at
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5835

As far as I can tell, the Debian algorithm is only suitable for
selecting a single winner from a set of alternatives (it selects the
Conddorcet winner); it is unsuitable for selecting multiple winners.
For elections to a board, we need a somewhat different algorithm, hence
my links yesterday.

> So as far as I can tell, there is not reason implementation for that
> should not proceed.

I believe there is at least one third-party Web site running suitable
software if we wish to outsource this.

> 2. The only objection to using SqP as a basis for the voters list was
> Lex, and at least Ken, Peter and I think this is a reasonable
> basis. I think it is close enough to consensus.
>
> So I think that the voting system as described in the link above, is
> reasonably well accepted, if someone has objections, make them heard.

I am not raising objections other than the practical one above (I hadn't
looked sufficiently closely at Debian's Condorcet algorithm).

> Peter, Cees, you seemed to be interested in implementing this
> system or
> parts. If you are, just go ahead and and do it, there are no live
> alternative proposals. If you don't want to implement it now,
> please let
> the list know, and I'll post a request for implementation to
> squeak-dev.

I'm interested in assisting in implementing it.  I've also just been hit
with a bunch of work we weren't expecting, which means my time for
Squeak will be curtailed for a period.  That period may well be
sufficient to take us past the elections.

I wonder whether we use other appropriate software for this period?

- SqP as it is now to register voters - anyone who has Apprentice per
the rather loose definition at
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/certs.html by (say) 12 Feb is
eligible to vote.  If we are going to do this, we should announce it
*now* to give people notice that a SqP account is of more value than it
was previously, as it's their voting registration!

- A mailing list to accept statements from candidates and formal support
from those who nominate, second, third... however far we go down that
route... them.

- A portion of a Wiki for candidates to post their statements.

- A third-party Web site such as
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/andru/civs.html with either Beatpath or Civs
completion rules to receive and tally the election results.

I'd much *prefer* to use our own versions of these tools; I think we're
going to be up against it to get them stable in the time we have
available.

		- Peter