[Elections] Squeak Elections Summary

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Thu Mar 8 15:05:46 UTC 2007

To stay for a moment on the technical sides:

Yes, I agree - not bad overall. Many of these problems could have been
solved, however, by some of the following precautions:

1. Telling people in advance to check that their SqP account is
certified, has a current email address, and a full name (the last should
be a requirement to voting).
2. Getting the SqP list from Ken with full names and certifications as
well as emails. Makes dealing with missing emails more likely.
3. Sending mails to all SqP accounts mentioning the elections - both to
awaken observers that may have done more since, and to get the bounces
earlier.

While sending people ballots manually was critical this time, we should
try to avoid it in general, since malicious voters might use it to vote
twice.

On other fronts, I was happy we had lots of candidates and less than
thrilled about the level of conversation that developed between
candidates and voters. I think that while it isn't our role to guide the
discussion, we do need to do something to have more meaningful platform
statements. I think we should probably have this part of the discussion
on squeak-dev, though.

Daniel Vainsencher