Fonts (was Re: [etoys-dev] Wording in Clouds)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Aug 1 11:10:37 EDT 2009

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> No, it's the right directory for system-provided fonts (plus
>> /System/Library/Fonts). But many fonts are in *.dfont format or *.otf
>> (Font Suitcase and OpenType), and quite a lot are stored in resource
>> forks only (appearing as zero size files, see below).
>
> Ah, OpenType. I hadn't found one of those yet. In theory, they are just
> TTFs with additional headers - can you give that a shot and see if we
> can actually process them correctly (just add .otf to the list of
> recognized extensions)? As for dfonts, is there any info on those?

Just found this comment at http://typographica.org/000423.php:
".dfont is new with OSX. In older Mac systems, files were composed of
two "forks"--a data fork and a resource fork. The resource fork was
generally were code was stored. This is also were font code was stored
in fonts. This older type of file structure is still supported in OSX
for backward compatibility, but appears to be on the way out. The .dfont
format is simply a TrueType font with the resource fork removed and the
font code stored in what used to be called the data fork."

I presume that means we just add dfont to the list of extensions?
(that's almost too easy ;-)

Can someone try this, too?

Cheers,
   - Andreas