Fonts (was Re: [etoys-dev] Wording in Clouds)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Aug 1 12:49:34 EDT 2009

On 01.08.2009, at 17:10, Andreas Raab wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> No, it's the right directory for system-provided fonts (plus /
>>> System/Library/Fonts). But many fonts are in *.dfont format or
>>> *.otf (Font Suitcase and OpenType), and quite a lot are stored in
>>> resource forks only (appearing as zero size files, see below).
>> Ah, OpenType. I hadn't found one of those yet. In theory, they are
>> just TTFs with additional headers - can you give that a shot and
>> see if we can actually process them correctly (just add .otf to the
>> list of recognized extensions)?

Not quite - the tag is 'OTTO' and there is neither a 'loca' nor 'glyf'
table.

>> As for dfonts, is there any info on those?
>
> Just found this comment at http://typographica.org/000423.php:
> ".dfont is new with OSX. In older Mac systems, files were composed
> of two "forks"--a data fork and a resource fork. The resource fork
> was generally were code was stored. This is also were font code was
> stored in fonts. This older type of file structure is still
> supported in OSX for backward compatibility, but appears to be on
> the way out. The .dfont format is simply a TrueType font with the
> resource fork removed and the font code stored in what used to be
> called the data fork."
>
> I presume that means we just add dfont to the list of extensions?
> (that's almost too easy ;-)

It is too easy. According to this article, ttf/ttc/otf are "Windows
formats" that OS X supports but its native format is dfont:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA22195

I couldn't find a format spec yet though. But it appears to embed ttfs
literally.