[etoys-dev] Re: OT: Unicode vs ISO-2022-JP (was Re: Fonts)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 00:15:06 EDT 2009

As is commonly the case in such discussions, you have ignored all of
my real points and chopped logic on your own. So there seems to be no
point in discussing this further.

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima<yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:
> At Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:49:42 -0700,
> Edward Cherlin wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 9:25 PM, Yoshiki Ohshima<yoshiki at vpri.org> wrote:

>> >  There are a fewer software that supports ISO-2022-JP-2 for various
>> > reasons, but it is still a member of ISO-2022 family, which a
>> > reasonable emailer should support.
>>
>> That's like saying a Python 2.6 interpreter should be happy with
>> Python 3.0. Nobody supports all of ISO-2022. And as far as I know,
>> nobody outside Japan supports this particular insular national
>> non-standard.
>>
>> http://unicode.org/faq/han_cjk.html
>> Q: I have heard there are problems in Japanese and other East Asian
>> mapping tables. Where can I find information about these problems?
>>
>> "Sometimes the standard is ill defined, and each vendor has a choice
>> in how to implement the Unicode mapping table...Implementations of ISO
>> 2022 encodings like ISO-2022-JP differ not only in the mapping tables
>> for the sub-encodings but also in the supported sets of escape
>> sequences and their invocation pattern."
>
>  Yes, as the answer to this "Q" describes, the Unicode consortium
> does not and cannot provide the standard mapping table and round-trip
> conversion is not guaranteed.

Yes, as the A describes, _nobody_ has a standard mapping table,
because ISO-2022-JP is in fact not standardized. That's what the word
_ill-defined_ means.

And so on for the rest of your irrelevancies.

And Children are my nation.