[etoys-dev] Re: Etoys-to-go goes AWOL?

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 21:49:55 EDT 2009

On Monday 10 Aug 2009 3:26:12 pm Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Actually you can do it without even downloading anything:
>
> 	svn log -v http://svn.squeakland.org/installers
>
> I guess you tried updating from within the Etoys-To-Go.app directory,
> which was removed, so that's why svn told you it could not update.
Yes. Thanks for the tip.

> It's not even released, don't declare it dead already ;) I hope it
> will become the if-all-else-fails version of Etoys that Simply Works.
I am sure it will become the preferred way for children. I have been carrying
Etoys on a chip for over two years and I can't imagine working any other way
now :-).

> Yes, somehow I replaced it with an older version. But the one checked
> in now should be okay, yes?
Looks good. The TMP copy trick can also be merged. It will be a null-op for
traditional launch from /usr/share.

> Doing it manually is error-prone. The makeEtoysToGo script exports
> Etoys.app as Etoys-To-Go.app and then exports the Etoys-To-Go files on
> top of it. Very simple.
etoys.sh is maturing well. We could retain Linux-i686/squeak as a binary and
move etoys.sh as Linux-i686/etoys. A small desktop launcher at the top level
can override the default settings in this launcher. This would be consistent
across platforms. See
    http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/etoys/2009-March/003053.html

I haven't figured out how to do such overrides on OSX yet. I am sure there is a
way.

Subbu