[etoys-dev] Re: [squeakland] [Q] How to export a script

Karl Ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 12:46:00 EDT 2009

On 2009-08-12 18:19, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> At Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:44:22 -0500,
> Young-Jin Lee wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for a way to export a script in one project so that it can be used in another project. I looked for
>> contextual menus and googled it, but found no solution yet. Can anyone tell me if it is possible?
>>
>    Like Karl wrote, a script is tied to its player (player's uniclass,
> really).  One thing you can do is, to turn the "debugHaloHandle"
> preference on, get the halo of the object and from the gray debug
> menu, choose "save morph in file" to create a .morph file.  It saves
> the morph's player altogether.  Later you can load it from "find any
> file" or dragging the .morph file from Explorer/Finder to the Squeak
> window.
>
>    For Supplies Bin, there is a machinary to save all the user defined
> objects but there is no simple UI;  If you know what to type as
> Smalltalk expression for the Supplies bin, you can do it.
>

>> Also, I have another question about using a movie file in etoy. In one of the demo projects that comes with etoy (a
>> free-fall experiment), I found a set of JPEG images imported from a movie file. Does etoy can save selected frames from
>> a movie as image files? If not, what is the best way to create image files from a movie file so that they can be used in
>> etoy?
>>
>    If the movie file in the format supported by the MPEGMoviePlayer or
> GStreamerMoviePlayer, getting out frames programatically can be done.
> Otherwise, I'd use an external tool...  Could be a Windows Movie Maker
> or iMovie but can be cumbersome.  Does anybody have a better idea?

We should in my opinion have a internal conversion of video to Holder.
(and Holder to video)
But such a feature would need work:
     Make it possible to select a short sequence of the video for
conversion.
     Set frame rate and frame size and possibility to crop out a
selection of the video.

Another issue:
Where are copy and paste menu items when in Etoy mode ??

Karl