[etoys-dev] popups in project-info

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Mon Aug 31 12:47:21 EDT 2009

At Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:17:15 -0400,
Timothy Falconer wrote:

> On Aug 8, 2009, at 4:45 PM, <kharness at illinois.edu> <kharness at illinois.edu
>  > wrote:
>
> > Bert,
> > Will the above 18 label carry connotations of the movie ratings:
> > adult content? These ratings may not be in use world wide, I don't
> > know.
> > I think age is adding an unnecessary and complicating bit of
> > information.
> > Kathleen
>
> I really do think "target age" is useful, particularly as we try to
> convince teachers to use Etoys in the classroom . . . any time we can
> save them as they look for relevant examples will help increase Etoys
> usage.

  The usefulness of the target age is one thing, but pre-set list of
ages is another.  If you say, "8 to 12", or "9 to 11", it means
different things from a region to another with different school
systems.  We can't dictate globally there, I think.  And some put the
target age based on the relevance with the school curriculum, but
others put some other criteria.  Some want to put the grade number
but some want to put the age.

  So, having the age part is ok but probably better to be a free-form
field.

  Just my $0.02.

-- Yoshiki