Fonts (was Re: [etoys-dev] Wording in Clouds)

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at vpri.org
Fri Jul 31 17:05:01 EDT 2009

At Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:05:30 -0700,
Andreas Raab wrote:

> Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
> >   Not sure what you meant by a standard font, but Batang is designed
> > for writing Korean.  Yes, it is missing some phonetic characters but
> > also some kanjis in the picture is wrong.  (here comes our favorite
> > problem.)
>
> Ah, that explains it. Is there a way of telling directly from the font
> which language(s) they are supposed to support? Or is this trial and error?

  I would think the trial and error, or just look at the font
designers document (like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_fonts).

  It appears that true type fonts on Window has a property called
codepage range, but I don't know if you can rely on it in general.
(I'm back to a sane Internet environment for now.  I'll investigate a
bit more.)

> >   For Japanese, MS Mincho, MS UI Gothic, MS P Mincho or MS P Gothic,
> > or on Vista or later Meiryo are the ones to use.
>
> Yup, they look much better. A paragraph from
> http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeak rendered in MS UI Gothic attached.

  Yes, this looks good!

-- Yoshiki