Fonts (was Re: [etoys-dev] Wording in Clouds)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Jul 31 21:42:37 EDT 2009

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   I would think the trial and error, or just look at the font
> designers document (like
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Microsoft_Windows_fonts).

Ah, great resource, thank you!

>>>   For Japanese, MS Mincho, MS UI Gothic, MS P Mincho or MS P Gothic,
>>> or on Vista or later Meiryo are the ones to use.
>> Yup, they look much better. A paragraph from
>> http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squeak rendered in MS UI Gothic attached.
>
>   Yes, this looks good!

BTW, one thing I was wondering about is how line breaking is assumed to
work with CJK-scripts (or more generally with Unicode). Do you have any
information on that? It seems that we're treating all of the CJK
characters as non-breakable at this point which leads to odd effects
when there are a few spaces included in the text.

Cheers,
   - Andreas