[etoys-dev] How to get a nice EToys based development environment?

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 02:09:17 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 30 Sep 2009 6:33:46 pm Rita Freudenberg wrote:
> YES!! This is the way to go for the future of Etoys and Squeak! As an
> educator, I would love to be able to go on from Etoys down to Squeak
> in teaching, and we do have many children in the world who are now
> learning Etoys in school.
+1. I am a community member helping students in about 120 village schools
(near Bangalore, India) use Etoys on a regular basis in 5th..7th grade. Though
the interface is in English and the students and teachers are barely literate
in this language, there is a ground swell of support for such intuitive
software amongst students and teachers for appropriation in classrooms. It is
so nice to be able to drill down from "ideas" to the "metal" with Etoys and
Squeak.

Etoys may be getting long in the tooth for researchers and Squeak may be
evolving rapidly as a commercial deployment engine. But let us not lose sight
of the value of the combination as a learning lab in schools across the world.

Subbu