[etoys-dev] Suggestion to add in the download page

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Oct 26 16:59:50 EDT 2009

On 25.10.2009, at 10:07, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> I guess we want to also make clear how to fetch the source code of
> Etoys, so community may be easily capable to produce relevant
> packaging for Linux distro. I think it is important to clearly
> indicated where are the source codes.
>
> Here is a small suggestion to add in the Download page:
>
> ==
> <h2>Etoys source code</h2>

> specific to each architecture and Smalltalk source code independent of
> the host architecture. The source code is naturally spanned in these
> two elements:</p>
> <ul>
> <li><a href="http://www.squeakvm.org">The Squeak Virtual machine
> source code, written in C</a></li>
> <li>The <a href="http://etoys.laptop.org/svn/trunk/">Smalltalk source
> code</a> composed of two files:
>  <ul>
> primary source code file above</li>
>   </ul>
> These source codes compile as a Smalltalk binary, <b>etoys.image</b>.
> Although these source codes files are huge, there is no other  source
> code file. These files can be edited from any text editor, but they
> are best viewed and edited from Etoys itself when opening a code
> browser ([Ctrl]+[b]).</li>
> </ul>

Yes, we definitely need something like this.

I'd explicitly state that all Etoys source code is included with
Etoys. It does not need to be downloaded separately. What's missing is
just the Squeak Virtual Machine source code used to run the Etoys
image, and that can be found at squeakvm.org.

It is wrong to write "These files can be edited from any text editor"
because this does not affect the system except for breaking source
browsing.