[etoys-dev] Suggestion to add in the download page

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Oct 27 14:19:41 EDT 2009

On 27.10.2009, at 13:28, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> I agree, but many free software activists want to be able to view the
> source code with a simple code text editor. This is what developer
> without knowledge about Smalltalk ask me. Any way this is just an
> option to view the source code and I don't see how it can hurt.
>
> Hilaire

Here is how it would hurt:

By suggesting you can edit sources and changes with any text editor
you are making false promises. In this regard Smalltalk is simply
different from about any other programming system. People unfamiliar
with Smalltalk would assume that editing these files would allow them
to change Etoys, because that's how development usually works. But not
in Squeak.

On the contrary, even if you did not have these files, you could still
view and change Etoys source code perfectly fine. The only thing you
would miss is comments and names of temporary variables. This
illustrates that the primary artifact is the image, not the text
chunks stored in the sources and changes files.

I don't see why you would want to put a misleading statement like
"These files can be edited from any text editor" on the download page.
Yes, you could also edit an MP3 audio file in any text editor, which
is literally true, but deceiving.

I understand that you want to appeal to the "free software activists"
who don't know how Smalltalk development works. But there is no need
to misrepresent the truth. Etoys is Free software even to the letter
of the FSF's definition. We do not need to resort to propaganda.

- Bert -