[sq-education] Re: [etoys-dev] popups in project-info

Timothy Falconer timothy at squeakland.org
Tue Sep 1 04:37:32 EDT 2009

On Aug 31, 2009, at 11:13 PM, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:

> On Monday 31 Aug 2009 10:45:40 pm Timothy Falconer wrote:
>> Think ... 1000 projects and I have twenty minutes to try 5
>> projects ... I'm a 3rd grade teacher in the united states wondering
>> how I could include Etoys throughout my school day.
>>
>> 500 different ways of saying 3rd grade will all but prevent that
>> person from finding 5 great projects in 20 minutes.
> This is a search problem that won't be solved with just tagging.
> Projects are
> not precisely structured records like database records. They are
> free form
> documents.
>
> A few weeks back Yoshiki pointed that he found "EToysLauncher
> openPanel" slow
> because he had a few hundred projects in a folder. The method opened
> each
> project file to extract a thumbnail and collect them in a book!
>
> What is needed to tackle such problem is an auto-indexer and search
> tool, say
> ProjectIndexMorph, that will index project collections in a folder
> (server)
> and display their thumbnails in a holder or book. It can have a
> filter field to
> narrow down displayed thumbnails and a refresh method to update the
> when projects are updated (this can also be done automatically).
>
> Now, teachers can search for projects that have, say "velocity",
> somewhere in
> their text morphs or meta-data. It will take no more than a minute
> to search
> 1000 projects.
>
> Subbu

We'll have a search box in the showcase, which will search titles,
description text, author, categories, tags, etc (info in the keep
box), as a quick way to find things.

Didn't think of searching the contents of projects yet, though, which
might be nice, or not so nice, not sure which :)

Remember, this is all for website use, not for use within Etoys, at
least for now.  Within Etoys will be able to browse the folder
hierarchy, but these are not yet exposed as categories, etc, there.