[etoys-dev] Players and costumes

Karl Ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 16:30:40 EDT 2009

On 2009-09-01 10:26, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 01.09.2009, at 04:07, tracker at squeakland.org wrote:
>> Scott Wallace updated SQ-288:
>> -----------------------------

>> Version 2 uploaded:
>> (a) Restricts the 'look like' tile to be available only in the
>> viewers of Sketches; this makes it still compatible with the
>> "powerful ideas" book, and with other support materials, while not
>> tempting users to deploy it with non-sketch receivers.
>> (b) 'look like' execution now consists of assigning a new graphic,
>> rather than touching the buggy and dangerous morph-substitution code
>> of old.  This avoids the pernicious bug that is the subject of this
>> ticket.
>

> So that means a player cannot change its custome anymore, right? Isn't
> that a fundamental change in the Etoys philosophy?
>
> If players and costumes are inseparable, why even talk about them
> separately? It would appear as if we now have different kinds of
> players, when before there was only one kind. How would we communicate
> the player-costume relationship then? Or do we just say that's an
> implementation detail?
>
> - Bert -

For some morphs it would be kind of  weird for  to change costume;
PasteUpMorph, BookMorph, PianoKeyboard etc...
I kind of agree that the similarity notion should be all the way down,
but without some behavior/ editing capabilities default in the system it
can become a hinder instead of a  steppingstone.

Karl