[etoys-dev] remove the free-standing .gif?

Scott Wallace scott.wallace at squeakland.org
Tue Sep 1 18:45:57 EDT 2009

On Aug 31, 2009, at 7:52 AM, Timothy Falconer wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2009, at 11:26 AM, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> On Friday 28 Aug 2009 4:18:17 am Scott Wallace wrote:
>>> So... do people think the time has now come (in advance of final
>>> shipment of this summer's release) to remove the .gif?
>> +1.
>>
>> In file managers with preview, children often confuse the .gif file
>> for the
>> project.
>
> +1 ... when uploading projects to the website using a web browser
> (which will become much more common), this can happen as well.

A sticking point here continues to be the possibility that existing
superswiki, superswiki2, and perhaps other project servers, might rely
on the presence of the .gif, and might misbehave if they can't find it.

The JIRA ticket for this issue is http://jira.immuexa.com/browse/SQ-315.

A fileout recently uploaded to that ticket has the comment: "...
succeeds in stopping creation of the gif, and also no longer sends the
superSwikiServer (if any) the filename of that gif file that used to
be created. SuperSwikiServers and other project servers will now need
to start using the .png thumbnail embedded in the outer .pr file.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to test the consequences this change
would have for existing superSwikiServers, etc., so I look to others
to help here."

So, this is a call for help.  Who among our readership uses, or knows
about, superswikis?

(1)  It's important to check how existing superswikis contend with
projects saved to them using an image that has the ticket's fileout
loaded (thus *not* creating a .gif).  Is there anyone out there who
uses an active superswiki and who can test this?  (What about the
Etoys/Illinois mechanism for putting projects on their site -- do
*they* rely on the .gif?)

(2)  At some point, someone needs to undertake modifications to
superswiki code so that the thumbnail is extracted from the
embedded .png file.  I'm not certain how many different superswiki-
like systems are in current use, nor who is the current maintainer of
each.  So please speak up, anyone who can clarify, test, code, or
otherwise contribute.

Without at least some testing for consequences with existing
superswikis, I think we can't in good conscience stop creating
the .gif thumbnail just yet...

   -- Scott