[etoys-dev] Etoys in Fedora 11

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Sep 7 20:47:59 EDT 2009

I finally upgraded my Sugar dev machine to Fedora 11 (well actually I
had to reinstall, but that's another story).

And I found that Etoys is there, ready for installation like any other
Linux software, and it works great! Thank you, Gavin!

I put screenshots of the installation process here:

http://wiki.squeakland.org/display/sq/How+to+install+Etoys+on+Fedora+11

The only issue I noticed with Etoys itself was that it was mis-
categorized, in both the Software updater (was "Other desktops",
should be "Education") and the Application menu (is "Sound & Video",
should be "Education").

The browser plugin was not enabled automatically, I put workaround
instructions in the How-To above. It just misses two symlinks. The
proper way in a package postscript would be something like this I guess:

in squeak-vm:
alternatives --install /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/npsqueak.so
npsqueak.so /usr/lib/squeak/3.10-5/npsqueak.so 10000

in etoys:
alternatives --install /usr/share/squeak/SqueakPlugin.image
SqueakPlugin.image /usr/share/etoys/etoys.image 20000

The other odd issue is that installing the squeak-vm package adds a
menu entry for "MySqueak" for no apparent reason. If it was named
"Squeak" and when launched offered a way to open an image then this
would make some sense, but for now it does nothing. The next release
of the Squeak VM will actually display such a dialog (but still it
should be renamed):

http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/unix/cmake/squeak.sh.in